Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cambodia





I watched last Sunday's Amazing Race-yeah, I know-I could do better (snobbery) and I was appalled that no one could pronounce Phnom Pehn correctly, or that the Killing Fields still doesn't get brought up, even though genocide there was happening in the 70s and we never learned about it because it was an ugly Vietnam stepsister (and the US flamed the fire). I've been there because it was a place I've always wanted to go-not because of Angkor Wat, which is incredible, but because of the movie "The Killing Fields" from the 1980s and because when I grew up, "Cambodian boat people" came to my school and because I remember seeing the distended bellys of young children, but having NO concept where Cambodia was in the 1970s...Africa-Ethiopia (I do want to go there).

So, yudos to Amazing Race to try to pump so dollars into a REALLY poor economy, but they've been there 2 seasons in a row with NO acknowledgment of the issues and the fact that the Khmer Rouge are slowing gaining a little bit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment