Thursday, September 9, 2010

Back at it, really

So, a new friend has inspired me to write in my blog again. I was thinking about it today as I walked out of Arabic class. I have had an inspiring week and geography is all coming back around.

I met some faculty that I will have privilege of working with when I begin nursing school in January. They are doing work in the former public housing neighborhoods of Chicago, the places where I did my Geography grad research. They are focusing on how young men perceive their relationships with their fathers (or lack thereof in many cases) in low income African American communities. They filmed the interviews in barber shops on the southside. This is a professor of nursing and public health, my two loves. I'm already psyched.

A faculty heard me talking about my experiences and she said she could see the passion and excitement on my face to work in emergency medicine. It's so awesome to hear.

Aside from that, I've been studying Arabic again. I did this before 6 years ago, but it's like starting over. The poor teacher listening to me read to him today like I was 4 years old. But, he's a great teacher and I feel like I've learned a lot. I want to continue.

I'm scheming on that ONE LAST trip before school begins. The Middle East seems most obvious, but today Cuba came to mind. Hmmm. You never know where the wind will blow this gal. It'll be somewhere, for those of you who know me.

And finally, I went to the library to day and checked out a stackful of books and videos, more so than I have since I was probably 10 years old. I felt as thrilled today as I did then. Ah, the library. My library has just joined forces with all neighboring suburbs and the Chicago system, so if I can't find it, well, I'll have to buy it. And there is one:
http://www.amazon.com/Land-Ayatollahs-Tupac-Shakur-King/dp/0955235928

I can't wait to read it.

I'll let you know how it all goes...I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment